Sunday 26 September 2010

Lo de Marcos Sunday 19-26 September

Ok, so this is the entrance of where I'm staying.


'The little paradise' for those who aren't of habla espanol. And it certainly is that. Met the other owner of this place who is just a true gent. Old skool, innit!

I think this is where my Mum and Dad stayed when they came here. Opposite where I am. Hmmm.Many thanks to you both for the top recommendation. It really is just gorgeous here. And you haven't even seen the beach yet...


And you'll have to wait a bit more while I tell you about San Franciso (San Pancho to its friends) Decided to go there on the Monday to check out the children's charity called 'Entre Amigos' which looks from the website to be very like Sodruzhestvo, where I did the summer camp in August. Sadly, as happens with alarming regularity in this part of the world, the rain had done some big damage. This time it nicked off with San Pancho's bridge. So there was very few people in town and I found it dotted with uber chic American-style boutique outlets, but overall less charming that Lo de Marcos. Had intended to get Spanish classes at Entre Amigos too, but there was no-one around, so no chance to set up either the do-gooding volunteering or the Spanish. Wasn't a total washout tho' as I got a dictionary to help me geek it up big time with my independent Spanish learning extravaganza in LDM. Yes, writing and learning lots of enormous lists of vocab IS cool.... to me :)

So, back to the beach it was...


And the view from the caf, where I had quesadillas and tried to buttonhole a couple of other diners into finding me a Spanish teacher in LDM looks like this:


Settling into a 'meditate, breakfast, study, go out, sunbathe, read, swim, eat lunch, siesta' type routine. No sunburn yet. The locals got burnt tho', boy oh boy, yes, some landlubbers fom Aguascalientes or other such inland place. Transactional conversations dominating at the mo', as there really are NO other non-Mexican tourists around except me. And the locals are all just keeping their businesses open, sitting round chatting and chilling before the insanity starts when the Yanks and the Canucks arrive in November (for the dry season).

In the meantime, quite a lot of rain. Did I mention it's the rainy season? One or two drains seem to be in disrepair; the joys of Jalisco state government.


Bit whiffy round here. And I have to pretty much go through it most days. Always a bit sus when exit pipes head from where beach side accommodation is into the sea. No floaters yet... Did almost hug a dinner plate sized dead fish on my first swim tho. Which, for a person who's been afraid of sharks in swimming pools (yes, I know, it's pathetic) means it's even more impressive that I went back in at all :) Amusingly met a guy who spotted I was going swimming one evening and asked if I could swim with him as he was a bit scared! Talk about the blind leading the blind... And no, he has a girlfriend before you start thinking he was hitting on me. Was pretty good-looking tho'... :)

Wednesday 22nd was Puerto Vallarta day (fenced port, as I worked out yesterday). Paradise LDM may be, but I did manage to make a right pig's ear of my laptop tho'. For anyone who was thinking of switching off their computer when it says, 'Don't switch off' as it's installing updates, just don't....So no photos in PV as I was focused on getting waputah sorted and goggle buying, and there was no room for a camera, as me bag was stuffed.

As was PV. With the swirling billious mass of socks-up-to-the-knee stylie tourists who'd been vomited out of two of the largest moving structures I've ever seen. Monstrous cruise ships. But did all my errands and even went shopping. And considering that the last time I went shopping was probably 6 months ago (it always is), with Paul and Alice (God it must be longer as I don't even remember Alice looking pregnant then...Yikes!), that was all in all a fantastic days work. And enabled me to do some blogging...yay!

Haven't left LDM since then, but did sneak a few pics in on a sunny day. It's not all paradise here tho. If you were tempted to buy property, don't buy this one:


A you can see, LDM is framed by mountains, and it's pretty often rumbling away with thunderous menace in the background up there. Had a storm during the week with thunder so loud it was as if a giant had slammed a football-pitch sized rock down on the roof of Wembley whilst you were sitting in the middle of the pitch. Actually perforated my spleen. So just be careful if you buy. Quite a lot of properties up for sale, from no-hoper houses to swish looking bungalow businesses. LDM has a proper little fishing community tho', who were playing footbal on the beach today, and a few farms with horses and cows, to balance out the otherwise all pervasive hegemony of the tourist dollar.

And now ... a random plant photo.



Byeeeee ;))))))))))))))))))))))

No comments:

Post a Comment